Broadband Adapter Dumping Tutorial (BBRip)

This forum is for the discussion of dumping games. Get help with your dumping here.

Moderator: Moderators

darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Broadband Adapter Dumping Tutorial (BBRip)

Post by darcagn »

THIS TUTORIAL IS OUTDATED - please read this thread to perform proper dumps.

This is a quick, crude tutorial on how to rip your own Dreamcast GDs. I will write a better one later.

First
You obviously need a Broadband Adapter and over 1gb of hard drive space available to do this. You can find a broadband adapter on eBay for $100-$150.

Download BBRip, DC-Load-IP, ip2post, and RapidCRC.

Extract BBRip to your desktop or wherever is convenient for you.

Extract dc-load-ip.cdi and burn with DiscJuggler or Alcohol 120%.

Second

Connect your Dreamcast's ethernet cable to the same network that your PC is on. Insert DC-Load-IP in your Dreamcast and boot it up.

You will be presented with a green screen showing your Dreamcast's MAC ID and status. Write down the MAC ID (the one with the colons separating it).

Start BBRip. Type in the Dreamcast IP address, check "Add to ARP Entry," and type in the MAC address of your Dreamcast (using hyphens (-) to separate each 2 numbers, not colons). Click on the download tab and select "Do not ignore dummy sectors." That is important! Check "save log automatically."

Select Tool > Connect. Your Dreamcast screen should turn black. BBRip is started. Select Tool > Track List. The tracks on your GD-ROM should appear in BBRip. Select one (and just one--BBRip can crash if you try more than one). Select Tool > Download. Choose where you want to download the track to.

Do this for every track. While the game is ripping, write down how many tracks there are and the numbers in the "LBA" field for each track.

Third

Open up notepad.

On the first line, write how many tracks there are in the game.
Then write a line for each game track. Write the track number, LBA value minus 150, track type (4 for iso, 0 for raw), block size (2048 for iso, 2352 for raw), track name (trackXX.XXX), then zero.

The following is an example. Make sure you get the math right. Track 1 should have a 0 LBA and track 3 should have a 45000 LBA. Other tracks vary from game to game.

Example:

Code: Select all

1	0	4	2048 	track01.iso	0
2	450	0	2352	track02.raw	0
3	45000	4	2048	track03.iso	0
Extract ip2post and put dd.exe and echon.exe in your WINDOWS folder (usually C:\WINDOWS). Drag track01.iso or track03.iso onto ip2post.bat. PostThis.txt will be created in the same directory as the ISO you used.

Install RapidCRC. Open RapidCRC and click "Options." At the top, check off "When not checking SFV/MD5 files calculate: MD5" and uncheck CRC. Click OK then close RapidCRC. In Explorer, highlight all of your ISO/RAW files, right click, and click "Open with RapidCRC." Wait for RapidCRC to calculate the MD5 of all of the files. Click "Create MD5 file: Go." Click "Create one .MD5 file for all files" and save the file.

Start a new thread here, in the proper forum for the region game you dumped. Post the contents of PostThis.txt, track.txt, the GDI file you made, and the MD5 you made.

Name the topic title in the following format:
Game Title (Region: J/U/E) [if more than one disc, #of#] [Product Number]

Name your GDI and MD5 the same thing (with .gdi abd .md5 extension). Use 7zip with ultra compression and compress the ISOs and RAWs. Name it the same as above (with a .7z extension). You now have followed the proper steps to package your release properly and submit the game's information to our database.

See This topic for an example.
Last edited by darcagn on Wed May 23, 2007 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mozgus

Post by Mozgus »

I just want to double check. I subtract 150 LBA from the reported start LBAs from tracks 3 and beyond, right? I don't subtract 150 from tracks 1 and 2, correct? I use IsoBuster to extract the first 2 tracks, and tell me their start LBAs, so I assume they are correct.

Actually, if I did any of that wrong, the game would flat out not boot right? Because if you type in the wrong start LBA, that means every single file will be misread by the difference, which would destroy the access of all data files.
az_bont
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by az_bont »

Mozgus wrote:I just want to double check. I subtract 150 LBA from the reported start LBAs from tracks 3 and beyond, right? I don't subtract 150 from tracks 1 and 2, correct? I use IsoBuster to extract the first 2 tracks, and tell me their start LBAs, so I assume they are correct.

Actually, if I did any of that wrong, the game would flat out not boot right? Because if you type in the wrong start LBA, that means every single file will be misread by the difference, which would destroy the access of all data files.
When using BBRip, it reports all LBA values as being +150 from what they actually are, including tracks 1 and 2. However, most other tools should report the correct LBA (ISOBuster certainly will). I know that dreamrip for BBA will report correct LBAs, but I can't remember about the serial version, as I haven't used that for a while.

You're right in saying that an incorrect LBA would cause the game to not boot correctly. As a guide, the LBA of track 3 is always 45000.
Mozgus

Post by Mozgus »

az_bont wrote:You're right in saying that an incorrect LBA would cause the game to not boot correctly. As a guide, the LBA of track 3 is always 45000.
Yeah, good. I know track03 is always 45000, but sometimes I forget if I change the following tracks or not. Anyways Shenmue 2 Disc 1 has 2 cdda tracks and then a second iso at track 6 which contains the meat of the game. So if I set anything wrong, it definitely wouldn't have booted. 7zipping Disc 1 and 2 now. 3 and 4 ripping for the next 2 days. Also I scanned the front and back covers at 300dpi. I'll include them in the torrent.
Nologic

Post by Nologic »

Okay I'm guessing I have a bad chunk in this dump from the following?
Found @ 45150:96 , but it is not a valid ISO9660 entry[32,0x20202020]
Found @ 45170:147 , 0x1000001
sector : 548614 , size : 1096412
flags : 0x0
GDR->Read : Sector 548614 , size 536 , mode 2048
Descrambling 1ST_READ.BIN and loading it to memory
Sh4 Reset
recSh4 Reset
not implemented opcode : 0 : Unkown opcode @ 8C008300
Press Any key to continue
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

Try using "Normal Boot"
Nologic

Post by Nologic »

I'll give it a shot...oh here are some pic's that may help a bit for your tutorial.

Okay normal boot got it up and running...just complains about not being ran on a Dreamcast (jap and eng)...but seems to work fine thus far.

On another note...because I had gotten that error I went and picked up a buffer to see if that would help get rid of the error for doing another dump...well now it errors in bbrip...so I'd like to purpose the warning to others NOT to buff their discs. It still plays fine in the DC...but can't seem to be dumped any more. :(

Also I had to do:

C:\>arp -s 192.168.0.255 00-d0-f1-03-27-11

Prior to bbrip kicking in and being able to connect to the DC.

Any ways here is a link to Microsofts docs on the arp command for what ever use it maybe.

Found another tut dealing with bbrip...might be useful to add to your current tut. (Actually found the full tut)

Code: Select all

________  _________  __  _________________
        \______ \ \_   ___ \|__|/   _____/\_____  \  
         |    |  \/    \  \/|  |\_____  \  /   |   \
         |    `   \     \___|  |/        \/    |    \
        /_______  /\______  /__/_______  /\_______  /
                \/        \/           \/   #dcftp\/    

-------------------------
Hardware Needed

Sega Dreamcast
PC Network Interface Card
Sgea Dreamcast Broadband Adapter
Lan Crossover Cable

BBA Hardware Settings

Insert BROADBAND PASSPORT Disc into DC
Turn DC power on,
Select the Option-provider in BROADBAND PASSPORT Menu

Set:
IP 0.0.0.0
SUBNET 0.0.0.0
GATEWAY 0.0.0.0
DNS 0.0.0.0
DHCP 0.0.0.0

Click OK to Save setting.
Turn the DC power off.
Start
Connect DC and PC with the DC Board Band Adapter.
Power on the DC,
Insert and load the dcload-ip 1.0.0 CD-R ,
and the TV should have a screen information like this
dcload-ip 1.0.0
00:d0:f1:02:b4:e2
idle...
Note: 00:d0:f1:02:b4:e2 is the MAC address ,
which will be different on other dreamcasts.
BBRip Settings
Start BBRip v1.1

In BBRip Menu, Select Edit(E) / Option(O),
Type in the IP address that your computer will use to connect DC
Example: 169.205.10.69

Click "Add to ARP entry" Box on
Type in the MAC address "the 2nd line" which show on the TV Screen.
Note: Format of MAC address is 00-d0-f1-02-b4-e2

Now Click the Download Tab, Select a directory which you want
BBRip save Trackxxx.ISO & Trackxxx.RAW into HD while Ripping.
Click "Do not ignore dummy sectors" Box on
Click "Save log automatically" Box on
then Click OK
Download

In BBRip Menu, Select Tool (T) / Connect (C)
wait a fews sec until it connected.
Note: BBrip may not always connect on the 1st try. In my case it took me 10 attempts.

Leave DC power on, Insert GD-Rom Disc into DC which you want to Back up,

In BBRip Menu, Select Tool (T) / Track List

Now the GD-Rom Disc Track List will appear in the BBRip main window
Select the necessary track which you want to download .
Example: Track03

Note: * Don't try to select track 1 & 2, it will cause BBRip to lock *
After you Selected the necessary track, goto BBRip Menu, Select Tool (T) / Download (D)
and the Download window will appear

File Types
Data Track will save as Trackxxx.ISO
Audio Track will save as Trackxxx.RAW
Extract ISO Image

data track named "trackxx.iso"

extract track03.iso

Note: Some GDRom Disc have two data ISO tracks.
In this case use this command.

extract.exe Track03.iso [Last Trackxx.iso] [LBA of Last ISO Track]

extract track03.iso track05.iso 248128

last argument is LBA of Last ISO Track, see Track List in BBRip Main Window.

Convert RAW Audio Track

sound track named "trackxx.raw"
sound track include about 2 second (150 sector) silence at end of file.

raw2wav track04.raw

or

raw2wav *.raw

this command converts the raw files to wave files and cuts the silence
Quzar

Re: Broadband Adapter Dumping Tutorial (BBRip)

Post by Quzar »

darcagn wrote:Start BBRip. Type in the Dreamcast IP address, check "Add to ARP Entry," and type in the MAC address of your Dreamcast (using hyphens (-) to separate each 2 numbers, not colons). Click on the download tab and select "Do not ignore dummy sectors." That is important! Check "save log automatically."
"Go to the menu 'Edit' and choose 'Options', THEN type in the ip"
darcagn wrote:Select Tool > Connect. Your Dreamcast screen should turn black. BBRip is started. Select Tool > Track List. The tracks on your GD-ROM should appear in BBRip. Select one (and just one--BBRip can crash if you try more than one). Select Tool > Download. Choose where you want to download the track to.
It is important to note that if you type in a folder that does not yet exist, it will NOT create it automatically, instead you will get a cryptic error message.
I only upload the information, not images.
Mozgus

Post by Mozgus »

BBARip download link is broken...
Edit: Fixed.