bleemcast! is a commercial PlayStation 1 emulator for Dreamcast by Rand Linden and Rod Maher. (Both were active members in the DCEmulation forum) It is not a port of the original bleem! emulator, but a completely new code base. bleemcast! improves the quality of the orginial PSX games since they run in 640x480 in bleemcast! (320x240 on a real PSX). bleem!cast was purely written in SH4 assembler.
There were three official releases, each of them emulates the PlayStation 1 games they were made for: Gran Turismo 2, Tekken 3 and Metal Gear Solid.
Please see the bleemcast! FAQ for more information.
DCEmulation hosted a bleemcast! forum that was frequented by the bleemcast! team, who often posted information and answered users' questions. It has been closed since bleem! folded, but the forum and all of its useful information can still be viewed here.
- Smooth, 640x480 3D graphics from original PlayStation-1 games (even the PS2 can't do that!)
- Clean, filtered textures (you can actually READ every sign you pass at 180mph)
- Full-screen anti-aliasing for added realism (no more "jaggies"!).
- Save & load games to regular Dreamcast VMUs (requires dedicated VMU)
- PAL Extended - no borders on PAL TVs!
- Compatible with VGA boxes
- Jump-Pack vibration support
There is a leaked beta version of bleemcast! that has made its way across the internet. This beta is capable of playing many PlayStation games although not anywhere near the same level as the commercial releases do. Many games do run but not all of them are really playable. The beta lacks saving capabilities and FMVs aren't supported, so many games whose storylines depend on FMVs or long games that require saving aren't playable at all.
The authors have commented on the forums about the state of the emulator's beta version and their feelings on the leak.